Phew! There has been an awful lot of sewing going on lately, but I am happy to report that the last baby quilt has been delivered. And this is it.
Admittedly, not the nicest of days for photos, but I'm very happy with how this quilt turned out. It's for one of my husband's colleagues, who teaches environmental science.
It's a ticker tape quilt, which means that scraps of fabric are quilted directly on to a larger piece of cloth (in this case gray), batting, and a backing (navy). The edges of the scraps are left raw. One of my favorite things about this quilt is that I can look at it and see scraps from almost all of the other quilts I've made in the last few years, which I think is pretty cool.
Having never made one of these quilts before, the rhythm that I fell into was to complete the quilt in sections. So, I started with the water, and more or less worked outwards from there. This quilt was a little bit of a pain (literally... lots of pins), and I was surprised at the amount of effort that laying out a fairly even distribution of scraps required. That said, this was very simple to put together, and I'd like to do another one sometime soon (and not just because my scrap bin is looking a little overwhelmed).
I'm happy to report that there's not much that I would have done differently with this quilt. If anything, I would have planned a little better (I underestimated the amount of time that it would take to finish). Also, the back of the quilt is a little messy, so I probably could have done more there.
Here are a few more photos!