Wow. Looking back, I've not blogged for even longer than I thought that I had not blogged for. Which is a little crazy - but, then again, so is life.
I've worked mainly on one quilt (with a few others thrown in here and there) since posting the Ticker Tape Baby Quilt, so, without further ado, I present my Art Deco-Inspired lap quilt!!!
This is a (belated) wedding gift for a wonderful friend and her super cool husband. They got married on NYE, and went with a Roarin' 20s theme - which was awesome, and also quilt inspiring :)
Pictures don't really do this one justice (which is not to say that there won't be a lot of pictures), since all of the gold is metallic. It's very glamorous.
In terms of lessons learned on this quilt, I have one major one. Good lord is the gold lame fabric a biotch to work with. Truly. The amount of repair that needed to happen between the block assembly and the quilting process was INSANE, because it just pulls and frays like nobody's business. So, Carly, Fred... in terms of washing instructions... please don't. This sucker is unfortunately fragile.
Smaller lessons learned include:
- Hobby Lobby sells awesome iron-on monogram fonts. I mean, for an art deco quilt, is that monogram not awesome?
- As you can see above, I did a stripe on the back of the quilt. As with the stripe on the back of the half square triangle quilt, I gave little to no thought to how quilting would work. Some day, I'll (probably) learn. What I ended up doing was quilting the side of the quilt with no stripe using a black bobbin, and the stripe and remaining area with a gold bobbin. It lined up okay, but there was some trial and error (read, delicate use of a seam ripper to pull black thread out of the gold lame stripe).
- Black, white, and gold fabric is both readily available and super challenging to find. I collected this fabric over the course of about six months. Most of it came from JoAnns (in NC and Arkansas), but over the course of the six months, selections and lines changed drastically. The main backing fabric came (surprisingly) from WalMart in NH, right before NYE. So, I guess that the moral of the story is that it's good that this quilt took SO long, because I couldn't have just gone to one store once and gotten everything I needed (as if that's ever happened before).
So, there you have my latest long-term primary project. More blog posts are coming - I have two more finished quilts to tell you about, as well as having made some solid house project progress! Stay tuned!